Sometimes we surprise ourselves

I have ran four days in a row this week, which is a big spirit lift.   I have been really down and very low in any sort of confidence that my left leg could hold up under speed.   But, I have been doing a run/walk 5 K trail near my house with my low technology running shoes,  I have been running my heart rate up to 90 to 95% and then walking for a sort bit and then repeating.  The trail is quite hilly on the way out and it does work the heart and lungs quite well.  Typically I will only run two days in a row before resting a day or two.  But I decided to go at slower speeds and do several days in a row and make sure I could go at least three days in a row--which is the Nationals meet length for me. 

In the three weeks prior to the Nationals--I have been trying to get the fitness level back up to where it was prior to injury.  And if the leg could not hold up, I would get out.  Pretty simple strategy.   The leg is holding up nicely and it may be actually improving with the work.  There is some minor pain involved and my gate is a little screwy, but no other negative side effects have developed.
 Yesterday evening, I was at the 4 K portion of the run and my leg quad actually had a change, like a knot or other contraction finally gave up and relaxed!!! Pretty strange event, but the leg pain is significantly less today and I am a much happier camper.  I had a massage yesterday, and it may have been a the catalyst to get the situation repaired.  I have also been using a lot more pre and post race nutrients to keep the muscle acids under control and the electrolytes in check.   The humidity the last couple of nights has been off the chart.  It rains every afternoon and just turns the place into a sauna--a real sweatfest.

Going forward I need to increase my confidence level--which was really bad the last month.  To do that, I will keep up the slower road work, minimize the temptation to do any 80% or higher speed work, and keep up the hydration and stretching work.  

In another week, I should have a good idea what I can run for times.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?