Hayward Field

I made it to one the great tracks in the world--Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon.  Home of the Ducks.   The Nike brand shoes and jogging both evolved from this site.  Bill Bowerman coached track here for nearly 25 years and had some great runners, including Steve Prefontaine,  and he helped co found Nike--he wanted better shoes for his athletes.   The US Olympics qualifiers were held here in 2012.   It is on TV everyear for some major event.   I had go since I was so close.  I was working in Halsey.

On Tuesday morning we were not needed in the tissue mill until around 10:00 AM. It was also my 8 th anniversery of my wedding with Linda--this was a really special day.  So I drove down to the field and walked around a little to see if a gate was open--somebody ALWAYS leaves a gate open.  Nothing was apparent, so I went in the through a door way that appeared to be to some offices and walked right onto the track around 7:30  AM.  A couple of women co eds were trying out some new Nikes and a gentlemen with the shoes and I talked a couple of minutes--he could not give me permission to get on the track-- so I just walked on and started my work out.  I could get thrown out, but that was fine, I got my citron yellow track spikes onto the red rubber.  I did not use Nike spikes--I hope that will not get me thrown into some kind of track pergatory.     After a few minutes, the other 3  left and it was me, a grounds keeper, and a couple of surveyors at the South end of the track.   I really enjoyed the moment.

I ran a couple of 200 m around 29 flat, a 100 m at 14 flat and some other backwards stuff.  I was pretty gassed after 45 minutes and headed out to work.  A beautiful day, sunny, cool, no wind and I was on Hayward Field.   The facility is world class, the track is in very good shape and the throwing and jumping areas are first rate.  The lanes are approximatley 4 feet wide--must be Olympic standard.  Typically,  the tracks I run have 36 to 40 inch lanes.    The stands are arranged with a roof to protect the fans from rain and this design bounces all the noise onto the track.  The stands are right on the track, this place must really rock when you are racing.  It has to be loudest track in the US, that would be a blast to race there some day.  You never know.

I took some pictures I will load if I can figure out how--   Pictures are in with the State Finals sections for some reason??

Comments

  1. That's really awesome. Like getting to rehearse a monologue at The Globe (if it wasn't just a facsimile. Still.)

    http://imgur.com/ is a really easy website to upload and host pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cool to make spike marks on the same tracks as the pros.. Maybe like running wind sprints at Lambeau or soldiers Field.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?