Running on Grass

I was running yesterday and a gentleman a little younger than me asked me a question, " why do you run on grass barefoot, what is the benefit?"   I struggled with an answer and never really had anything concrete, but I think there are a couple of benefits.   1)  It is fun.  You get to pretend you are a kid--so to speak.  I do not think I ever quit to tell you the truth. 2) My feet get some rest.  They are constantly under strain on the track and they do give me some pain normally after using spikes. 3) You can work on your stride length because I run on a football field and you can see how long your strides are reaching as you go past the 5 yard markers  4) It gives you time to work on your form.  I can use big arm movements or not.  I also tend to have a much higher knees when running on grass. This must be due to how your feet tend to sink in just a bit into the soft soil.  Traction is quite good with bare puppies.    5)  You do get faster.  I have been able to do 100 m on a regular basis in the low 15's with barefeet.   I have also noticed a small change in my the core.  The stomach seems to be really getting narrower from the extended arm swings and high leg extensions on the grass.      I better keep it up.   It really is fun!   You can also pretend that someone is chasing you on a long TD catch or kick retrun.    I have not been caught in my mind yet!!

I ran a couple of days ago on grass with the longer spikes and with the starting blocks.  I did multiple starts on grass and ran 50 m with each.    This work out, although short in distance, whips your butt and the starts appear to be a strain on my right ankle and they have to be limited.      I added some tape half way thru the work out to balance the right ankle pain, but starts are hard to my feet --bottom line.  That will be the last starts I do until the Ky State Finals Oct 6 th.  

This week, I will be all over the map and will see if I can keep the good feeling in the legs going. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?