Skip to main content

Tennessee State Finals Record

I was thinking today, which the most scary words I can say to my wife, Linda.  But I really was thinking during my track time at Ravenwood.  I am going to run next Saturday at the Kentucky State meet for seniors.   I could be a state champ in a couple of states, which is interesting.  But, what really came to me, was I am the Tennessee State Recorder holder in the 50 meters for 55 to 59 years old.  Why did this fact just show up recently???  Well, it is the first time this event has been run, so by devault, the first winner--me--would be the record holder!!  Hopefully, I can make the time quicker next year. 

I run 50 meter sprints on the track with spikes to work on my speed.  I will run 6 to 10 sets at 95% effort.     I have a goal of beating 6 flat in the 50 m with a running start.   Today after coming close several times in the last month, I ran a 5.92 second 50 meters with a running start after running a 6.03 seconds the set before.  The quick time was just a little more effort.    This speed when translated into a meet situation with block start, should equate to less than 7 seconds. I want to run 7 flat next Saturday in Ky---I got the speed, so it is up to me.   The 50 m is the first event, so I will get a good warm up and be ready to crank off a 6.99 or better.  I also want to break 13 seconds in the 100  which will be the second event for me. 

I changed my training after the Tennessee State meet in July and I feel that I am a lot faster, but until I get a time on paper in a meet, it is just a feeling. I can consistantly run in the 13's on grass for the 100 m.   That is a huge improvement for me.   I have very little at stake in this meet, but I really think the 50, 100 and 200 speeds are going to be fastest since getting into this senior thing.    The 400 is last, and if I have anything left, I will run it w/o worrying about the clock. Although 62 seconds would be a great time.

I  finally got to meet my  male granddog this week.   I was in Milwaukee and visited Adam, Betty, Lenzi and Bruce.  Bruce is the pugg granddog.  His is a cutey and well behaved.    Good to see 2 of the kids and and the gdog. 

I think my next blog will be about the orange barrel situation in Wisconsin.  I travel a lot, and nobody--NOBODY-- can put out a spread of orange barrels like Wisconsin.    Don't use a GPS-- you will never arrive.

Comments

  1. Good to see that you mentioned Bruce :) And you are right about the barrels, even when they are not doing construction they leave them up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

District Qualifier

Last Saturday the Greater Nashville Senior Games District Qualifier was ran at Brentwood High School Track.  I ran in the 4 sprints and took three gold and a silver medal.  Overall it was great event for me.  I ran in a new class, the 60 to 64 year old class.  I am actually 58, but in Olympian years I am 59 and next year, when they run the state meet for which we qualified, I will be 60 in Olympian years--confused, that is OK.  Kinda messy to figure your Olympian age.   I wore pinks sleeves the first three races because I was chilly after I got sweaty warming up around 8:30 AM.  I also wore the pink sleeves to celebrate those who have battled breast cancer and won.  Breast cancer has got to be an absolutely horrible way to be tortured by cancer.  I posted the picture of my sleeve and medals on Facebook and one of my high school class mates responded that she had been a 10 year survivor--- I nearly cried.  ...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...