Skip to main content

Back to the track

I made it back to the track today.  Linda did some walking with her fancy new knee brace-- it is tiger stripe patterned and as cool as these kinds of things can be.  So I had some company.  

Yesterday morning I had my massage and Geoff indicated that I was quite tight and he worked very hard to loosen up my quads--it hurt like hell--he can inflict some pain.   But he was able to tell that I have been easing off a little on the training and stretching, so I got busted and need to get back with the program.   The quads the quickest muscle in the body to atrophy and shrink-- you gotta work em.    I looked up power cleans on youtube and will add power cleans to my front squat routine that I do weekly.      

Last night we went to the movies and saw 'Hope Springs' with Tommy Lee Jones as the old worn out husband and Meryl Strep as the frustrated wife whose marriage is deader than the preverbial doornail.    We have a good time and good to laugh at their problems. Thank goodness Linda and I  still like like each other, and the rut is way down the road.    I was definitely date night at the movies-- a lot of mature couples at the show.     After the movies we went to the gym and swam outside, the water was wonderful and I got a good aerobic work out and Linda swam as well.   We closed the place up and went home to watch some the soap opera that is the NY Jets footballs.  They looked lousy against the Giants.  Is it gonna be Tebo or Sanchez??  Does it even matter?

At the track today I was speed day.  I put on the support socks--retro 1974 and spikes.   I did 8 sets of 50 meters with running starts for time.   My best time was 6.18 against the wind and 6.15 with the wind--about 7 mph.  I have been trying to work the 50 m time down to around 6 flat.  At 6 flat I can consistantly run a 100 m under 13 seconds.     So if you can run 6 flat x 2 that is 12 seconds with a start, which is 0.7 seconds,  and you are safely under 13.0 seconds for 100 m.     13.0 seconds with get you to the finish line first in a lot of races and make me a contender at the Nationals. 

I also got the parachute out and ran some barkwards with the chute.  It is interesting to have some resistant running backwards, you can lean into the run while backwards.      I ran a total of 600 meters at speed and with a 800 m warm up, burned over 800 calories.   The intensity of the running really makes the calories meter tick fast.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...