Skip to main content

Hot in OK

Well as I guessed, it is quite hot in the Sooner state, 105 today.   I baby sitted a tissue machine all day and may get some energy to do some running.  I need to find a track--I think that is why google maps was created.   But, I can also take a day off, which is part of the program--resting. 

I was thinking of some different subjects for my blog.  I have some high school pictures on my long jumping and in my track uniform. I was 5 ' 11" and 168 pounds, depending on how close to feeding time.  I am still 5'11", but the weight is 197 and going down slowly.  I am moving muscle from the upper body to the lower.  Linda is not a fan of this, she likes upper body muscles--her toys.  But speed comes from the hips and thighs and that is what is growing and getting the most weight work.   So that should be a  fun subject.

Another subject is gear.   I have always been curious about the new stuff and I got it. Shoes by the bushel, shorts, tops, timers, tape, recovery aids, heart beat monitors, Nano.....  I think I can scare people off with that one.  I have a rather large budget for  gear. Citron is my favorite color.

Injuries and doctoring will be a series.  That is a constant companion.  But I think I am getting  a little smarter and work very hard on not overtraining.  Overtraining is my worst problem, and the down side is a visit to the doc.  I am glad I have some good health care insurance.  

 I also do other things.  I take a week to deer hunt in Ohio, and that is generally a 6 to 8 mile hike daily.  I have done the Grand  Canyon twice.  I get to travel to other countries on a regular basis.  Mexico, France, Chile, Brazil, Canada in the last couple of years.  Linda and I took a week and hung out around a lake in Arkansas.

I also have a detailed spreadsheet with my training sessions.  That might be fun to share.  It is been over three years since I have started racing again.  This makes slacking very obvious.

The next race for me is in Kentucky at their state championship, the first Saturday of October.   I do not need to worry about injuries, since I am qualified for Nationals, so I plan on letting a couple of the races " really rip"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...